Monday, September 6, 2010

Autumn is Coming

And I can feel her slow,
And I can't wait to rush back
Into the arms I know-

How I long for her arrival!

I patiently wait-
Watching the horizon line
Anticipating that perfect moment
When her eyes meet mine.

She'll be rolling
Over the sweet
Hills
of Nashville-
Any day now.

And she's

Carrying memories
That will later be called mine-

And she's

Bringing antique
Lockets
That will stand the test of time.

She's been
Sipping on the pooling waters
Of July
Like they're hot tea with
Milk
And
Honey-

Cooling them down
After their grueling
Love affair
With summer.

And I'm so glad she's mine

To have and hold
And keep
Until winter
In his top hat comes to take her from me.

We'll share stories
Of old loves that lasted too long
And good loves that were never long enough,

And she'll wrap her arms around me
When I say

That times have been rough.

She'll ask me where he is-
That brown eyed boy that she has missed,
And I'll say he's off making magic
With someone else's kiss-

And she'll ask me if I miss who I miss
And I will say no.

She'll read to me Dickinson
And Keats
And Whitman

And when it's all over
I'll hold her like I'm never going to see her again.

I can hear Autumn coming

And I wait watching the horizon line

I can feel her electricity
On my hair and on my skin;

And she's been missing me-
That Autumn.

I can't wait
To call her mine.

0 comments:

Post a Comment